ADDITION(S) ALTERATION(S) ALLOWED IN DDA FLATS
The Ministry of Urban Development and Poverty Alleviation, Government
of India has allowed certain addition(s)/alteration(s) in DDA flats. These
are applicable to all flats built and allotted by DDA irrespective of
whether these are located in notified and denotified areas. The addition/alteration(s)
allowed are categorized in three categories:
- Condonable: These are minor addition
/alteration(s)which do not require structural changes and can be carried
out by the owner(s) without any prior intimation/permission of DDA/MCD.
- Permitted with intimation/permission:
These addition(s) / alteration(s) are of major nature which may require
structural changes, changes in the service lines and additional coverage.
- Additional coverage permitted with prior permission.
The details of all the categories of addition / alterations which have
been approved by Ministry of Urban Development & Poverty Alleviation
by various orders by various orders are given below:
- To convert existing barsati into room provided the wall is made
of only 115 mm thick.
- Grills and glazing in verandah with proper fixing arrangement.
- Raising height of front and rear courtyard wall upto 7' height
by putting up jali/fencing.
- Providing door in courtyard wherever not provided.
- Providing sunshades on doors and windows wherever not provided
with proper fixing arrangements.
- Closing the door.
- If the bathroom or WC are not having roof, these may be treated
as open urinals and allowed. 8. Raising the wall of balcony/terrace
parapet with grill or glazing upto 5' height.
- Construction of open staircase (cat ladder) where no staircase
has been provided for approach to the terrace.
- . To put provide additional PVC water tank at ground floor area
without disturbing the common passage.
- To provide an additional PVC water tank in the scooter/car garage
at the surface level.
- To provide loft /shelf in the rooms without chase in the walls.
- To change the flooring with water proofing treatment.
- To remove half (41/2) brick wall.
- To make a ramp at front gate without disturbing the common passage
/storm water drain.
- To provide sunshades or the outer windows upto 2'wide projection.
- To provide false ceiling in rooms.
- To make an opening of maximum size of 2'6" x1'9" for exhaust fan
or air-conditioner in existing walls.
- Fixing of door in back and front courtyard.
- Converting of window into Almirah subject to availability of
light and ventilation as per building byelaws provided that no structural
elements are disturbed and there is no projection extending beyond
the external wall.
- Shifting of water storage tank/raising of parapet wall upto 5'
height and putting additional water storage tank. Wherever the existing
water storage tank capacity is less than 500 ltrs in a flat, a 500
ltrs tank can either replace the existing water storage tank or
if possible the additional tank can be added so as to make the total
storage capacity upto 550 ltrs. However, such replacement/provision
of additional tank will be done only on the locations specified
for such tanks and the supporting beams will be required to be strengthened
suitably. Parapet wall around terrace can be increased to a height
- To shift the front glazing, rooms/windows upto existing chajja.
ADDITION/ALTERATION(S) PERMITTED WITH PRIOR INTIMATION
Following addition(s) / alteration(s) can be carried out with prior intimation/permission
of the concerned agency i.e. DDA/MCD as per the prescribed procedure:
- Interchange the position of kitchen,bathroom & WC with proper connections
subject to structure safety. To carryout this interchange, all the
allottees of one vertical stack will have to apply jointly to the
- Construction of bath room and WC in the rear courtyard.
- Covering of open terrace with sloping roofs upto 9' height with
light weight material e.g. fibre glass / AC sheets / GI sheets with
pipes and standard angle iron section etc. and enclosing with glazing.
- Removal of original structure and reconstruction with due permission
in the case of single storeyed built up flats only subject to the
satisfaction of building bye-laws and prior approval of the local
ADDITIONAL COVERAGE PERMITTED WITH PRIOR PERMISSION:
- Covering of courtyard and floor level terraces is allowed subject
to fulfillment of building byelaws and structural safety. In three
or four storeyed flats the owners at upper floor shall have the
right to cover the area available as a result of coverage of courtyard
/terrace of floor below. In such cases the residents of DDA flats
in a vertical stack served by the same staircase should give their
consent and jointly apply for permission.
- In two storeyed flats the allottee at first floor wil have no
right of construction above the courtyard built by ground floor
allottee. The upper floor allottee of two storeyed flat can use
the roof terrace for extra coverage as permissible.
- A barsati on the roof terrace of the top floor in addition to
mumty is allowed. This barsati should preferably be adjoining to
the mumty and equivalent to the size of the room below so that construction
of wall over is ensured at terrace level. This will be subject to
the provision of access to the residents of the block for maintenance
of water tank, plumbing system,fixing of TV/Cable antennas etc.
All the addition/alteration(s) and additional coverage will be governed
by 5 basic principals:
- There is no encroachment on the public land.
- Structural stability of the building is ensured.
- Light and ventilation of the habitable rooms is ensured as per the
- There is no infringement of other's rights.
- The service elements such as manhole, rainwater fittings, sanitary
fittings etc. are not disturbed and remain exposed for periodical
inspection and maintenance.
The owner(s) will be allowed to cover additional space with prior permission
of the concerned agency i.e DDA/MCD as per the prescribed procedure.
The existing additional covered area and addition(s)/alteration(s) can
also be get regularized by the owner(s) of DDA flats if the same are
within the prescribed norms following the same procedure.