|Trees, clean air, pure water and green open
|"That's what makes a city worth living
The development of Delhi provided in the Master Plan provides for lung
spaces with extensive open spaces in the form of various greens. DDA has
retained the natural features such as ridge, green belts etc. and developed
open spaces so as to contain the growing population of this metropolitan
city. Out of the total urban areas of 44777 hectares, 8722 hectares has
been marked for green/recreational purpose.
As per MPD 2001, 8422 ha. of land has been reserved for the Greens. Although
the green area in Delhi is managed by different agencies DDA has the largest
role to play with over 5050.97 ha. under its jurisdiction.
|A comparative chart is given:
|| Green areas under DDA
Along side the development of urban extension areas with colonies like
Dwarka, Rohini and Narela, DDA is taking special interest in nurturing
the greens in these urban extension areas. A overview of these efforts
can be had from the data:
|Green areas under DDA
|Total area of Union Territory of Delhi
|Urban area as per Master Plan
|Total green area under the jurisdiction
|Green in Urban Extension Project
|Rohini Phase I & II
Carefully planning the greening of Delhi, DDA works towards its goal
by meticulously dividing the plan into a level of hierarchies, detailed
in the Master Plan. Thus the greening project is categorized into:
- Regional Parks
- District Parks
- Neighborhood Parks
- City Forests
- Historical Landscapes
- Sports Complexes
- Landmark Greens
- Green Belts
- Tot Lots etc
|The scenario of Development of Greens
for last 15 years is as per below
| Developed till
Prestigious Projects Designed & Implemented:
- Swaranjayanti Park at Rohini - 100ha.
- Millennium Park, Ring Road, Sarai Kale Khan - 83 ha.
- Upgradation & ecological development of Hauz Khas Deer Park Recreational
- Heritage projects like; Qila Rai Pithora, Mehrauli Complex, Ashoka
Edict, Purana Qila etc.
- Landscape development of area around Tughlaqabad.
- Planning & Designing of major greens in Dwarka, Rohini & Narela.
- Designing of Sports Complexes by DDA in Delhi; 13 are operational
& one is under development.
- Golf Course development at Lado Sarai.
- Organising Garden Festival/Exhibition & Seminars/workshops on
Landscape & Environment.
- Bio-Diversity park at Wazirabad under development.
- Planning of Aastha Kunj.
- Proposed Aravalli bio-diversity park at Vasant Vihar.
DDA spends approximately Rs. 40.00 crores every year for developing new
greens and also for maintaining already developed greens. Usually the
green lots or parks after development of a particular colony are shifted
to the local civic bodies for maintenance but bigger greens are retained
by DDA for up-keep and maintenance. No taxes or any grants are received
for maintenance of these greens. This is a healthy gesture from DDA to
citizens of Delhi. Further plans to improve the environment of Delhi include
shifting of the wholesale fruit market, handling traffic congestion, introducing
a medium capacity transport system, creating a gods terminal at Mori Gate,
protecting and developing the ridge, developing the Yamuna River Front
into a green area, decongesting the old city.
Some of the landmarks in green development are:
- Swaran Jayanti Park recently developed at Rohini.
- Deer Park , at Hauz
- Jamali Kamali Park at Mehrauli
- District Park at Dwarka.
- Sanjay Lake in the East
- Indraprastha Park along Ring
- District Park, Kanti